Anticipating more wining than dining tonight? With South Africa’s curfew lifted and a new year looking sparkly and promising, there are bound to be some sore heads tomorrow morning. Luckily for you we have a list of the best foods to fill your tummy and proven to help you curb the hangover.
Now we are not saying they are miracle workers! Hydrating through the night (and especially before you go to bed!) is necessary. But these nutritious foods will still help you turn your NYE karma around. You’ll want to keep this list, and maybe a headache tab, handy.
The good food list
If you are hoping the usual post-party greasy English Breakfast will be on the menu, you might be a little disappointed. Although it’s not all bad news! The aim is to stick to fresh fruit and veg, healthy fats, protein and hydration. You can still have the fry-up but make sure it includes the following elements too.
- Dark leafy greens: The likes of spinach and kale are packed with so many nutritional benefits, and you are going to want all of it. Slightly cooked is great, or throw them in with our next ingredient for a wholesome green smoothie. You could try this Healthy Girl Green Smoothie Bowl.
- Bananas: These potassium rich fruits help replenish electrolytes – a super essential part of beating the hangover!
- Beans & legumes: Their protein will full you and fuel you, plus their high magnesium content will regulate your nerve and muscle systems. Baked beans in an English Breakfast are delicious, but for the added benefit of B6 you might want to opt for chickpeas. We love this super simple Carrot Salad with Spiced Chickpeas!
- Greek yoghurt: Protein rich, filled with nutrients to get back your energy and help your metabolism. This full fat yoghurt is also known to provide vitamin B12.
- Cucumbers: This might sound strange but with a high water content cucumbers are your best friend in hydrating your body!