- 11⁄2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 tsp chilli fl akes
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 36 squid hoods with tentacles, cleaned
- 3 tomatoes, chopped
- 11⁄2 tsp salt
- 1 cucumber, cut lengthways, seeded and chopped
- 1 cup mint leaves
- 1 cup parsley leaves
- 2 wholewheat pitas, split in half, and toasted
1. Toast the cumin seeds and ground coriander together in a pan over a medium-high heat. Transfer to a bowl and add the garlic, chilli, oil and lemon juice, and stir to combine. Reserve 2 tbsp of the spice mixture in a bowl.
2. Separate the squid tentacles from the hoods. Slice the hoods crossways 3⁄4 of the way through. Add the hoods and tentacles to the spice mixture and toss to coat. Set aside for 1–2 hours.
3. Heat a grill over a high heat. Grill the squid for 4–5 minutes, until tender and cooked through.
4. Combine the tomatoes and salt in a colander and allow to stand over a bowl