- 600g uncooked prawns
- 1 onion, peeled and finely chopped, skins reserved
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped, skins reserved
- 2 celery stalks, trimmed and chopped, trimmings reserved
- 8 rosemary, leaves removed and chopped, stalks reserved
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 3l water
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 11⁄2 cups arborio rice
- 2 corn cobs, grilled and trimmed
- 50g butter
- 1⁄2 cup chopped parsley
1. Peel and devein the prawns, reserving the heads and shells. Refrigerate the prawn meat in a large bowl and set aside.
2. Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan over a medium-high heat. Add the prawn heads, shells, onion skins, garlic skins, celery trimmings and rosemary stalks to the pan and cook for 2 minutes.
3. Add the water and 1⁄2 cup wine and bring to the boil. Skim the top. Reduce the heat and simmer for 30 minutes. Strain the stock through a sieve into a heatproof bowl. Discard any solids.
4. Heat 2 tbsp of oil in a pan over a medium-high heat. Add the chopped onion, garlic and celery and cook for 5 minutes until tender. Add the rice, stir and cook for 1 minute. Then add the rest of the wine and stir. Reduce the heat to low and add warm stock one ladle at a time, stirring and cooking for 25 minutes until stock is absorbed and rice is done.
5. Heat grill pan over high heat. Brush corn with some of the remaining oil and grill for 3 minutes on each side. Remove from grill and cut corn off of the cobs.
6. Add the remaining oil to the prawn meat and season to taste. Cook on a grill for 3 minutes, or until cooked.
7. Add the prawns and corn to the risotto and cover. Cook for 5 minutes. Stir in the butter and chopped rosemary.
8. To serve, dish into serving bowls and top with parsley.
ALSO SEE MUSSEL CHOWDER RECIPE