French-inspired ham and cheese pancakes, or crepes sarrasines, are perfect for a weekend lunch or light supper.
- 3 large free-range eggs
- 400ml whole milk
- 25g unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
- 175g buckwheat flour
- 2tsp baking powder
- 1tsp salt
- Extra butter or oil, for frying
- 8 slices ham
- 225g grated cheese
- You Will Need:
- A 20cm non-stick frying pan or pancake pan
- Whisk the eggs, milk and butter in a jug until combined.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and salt into a large bowl. Form a well in the centre. Pour around a third of the egg mixture into the well of the dry ingredients. Whisk to combine and gradually draw in the flour to create the batter. Once combined, add the remaining liquid and whisk until smooth. Leave to stand, covered, for 2 hours.
- To cook, warm the pan over a high heat, reduce the heat slightly then brush with a little melted butter or oil. Stir the mixture in the bowl then add a small ladleful to the pan, tilting it so it reaches the edges of the pan.
- Cook for about 1 minute on each side or until lightly brown. Place a slice of ham and a small handful of cheese on one half of the pancake. Fold the unfilled half over to cover the filling, leave in the pan to melt the cheese for a moment and serve immediately.
woman&home has a brand new attitude and offers irresistible inspiration each and every month to our audience. The brand believes that it’s attitude, not age, that matters and we speak to women in a conversational, empowering, inspirational, fun and friendly tone.