FAT bastard, one of South Africa’s favourite and most awarded Chardonnays, has collaborated with Chef Nono Mtshali from In the Kitchen with Nono for this year’s Chardonnay Day, celebrated on the 26th of May.
Alongside FAT bastard, Chef Nono has created this perfect ‘winter warmer’ recipe that showcases the rich, round flavours of the celebrated Chardonnay. In fact, FAT bastard is so dedicated to celebrating the cultivar, they’ve renamed the whole month #FbChardonMay! Keep scrolling for the full recipe!
Chef Nono Mtshali’s Short Rib Ragu with FAT bastard Chardonnay
- 1.5 kg bone-in beef short rib
- 2 tsp salt, plus more to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 3 sticks celery, trimmed and finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 3 cups beef stock
- 2 bay leaves
- 4-5 leaves sage
- 500 g pappardelle pasta, cooked according to package directions just before serving
- fresh parsley, finely chopped, for garnish
- grated Pecorino cheese, for garnish
- Season beef with salt and pepper all over.
- Heat oil and brown beef in two batches until crispy-browned, about 3 minutes on either side. Remove to a plate and set aside.
- Place onion, celery and garlic in the pot. Sauté until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in tomato paste until vegetables are coated.
- Pour in beef stock into the pot. Add meat back in, making sure it is mostly submerged in liquid. Add bay leaves and sage.
- Close lid, and cook on medium heat for 2 hours, until meat falls off the bone.
- Open lid and remove all of the beef to a plate. Trim the fat off your short ribs, remove all bones and skim as much oil off the top of the sauce as you like.
- Now simmer and reduce the sauce. Shred the meat.
- Once the sauce has reduced and is nice and thick, return shredded beef to sauce and stir well.
- Add pappardelle to the pot, tossing as the sauce simmers. Toss for 2 minutes, until pasta is covered in shiny sauce. Serve immediately with chopped parsley and grated pecorino cheese.
- Enjoy with FAT bastard Chardonnay