American blueberry pancakes are a classic breakfast recipe that everyone loves. Give them your own twist depending on what you fancy. If you don’t have blueberries to hand you can always swap these for other summer fruits – like blackcurrants, or raspberries.
- 1 large free-range egg, lightly beaten
- 130ml milk
- 2tbsp unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly, plus extra for frying
- 135g plain flour
- 1tsp baking powder
- 200g blueberries
- To Serve:
- Grilled streaky bacon, optional
- Maple syrup
- Mix the egg, milk and butter in a jug until well combined. Set aside.
- Sift the flour and baking powder into a large bowl, making a well in the centre. Gradually add the egg mixture and use an electric whisk to create a smooth batter. Stir in half the blueberries and set aside to stand for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, put the remaining berries in a small saucepan with 2tbsp water and cook for a couple of minutes until just starting to pop. You don’t want a mush!
- Heat a non-stick frying pan to hot, reduce to medium and brush lightly with melted butter. Allow around 2tbsp of mix for each. Turn once golden on the underside and cook for another couple of minutes. Serve with bacon, maple syrup and cooked blueberries.