Soup is definitely a winter favourite, and this tomato & basil soup is at the top of our list!
* 3 tbsp olive oil, plus to drizzle
* 2 onions, sliced
* 3 garlic cloves, peeled and left whole
* 2 × 400g tin whole tomatoes
* 2 cups vegetable stock
* 1 tbsp sugar
* 1 tbsp tomato paste
* Handful fresh basil
* Salt and pepper
1. Heat the oil in a large pot on medium heat and add the onion. Fry until soft, for 8–10 minutes, then add the garlic and fry for 3 minutes.
2. Add the tinned tomatoes, vegetable stock, sugar and tomato paste. Cook for 30–45 minutes, until the liquid is slightly reduced. Add the basil and season with salt and pepper.
3. Use a stick blender to blend the mixture to a smooth consistency. Adjust the seasoning if necessary.
ALSO SEE SWEET POTATO SOUP
[image by Jenn Kosar via Unsplash]