This hot cross bun loaf is simply delicious with butter and jam.
- 5 g fast-action dried yeast
- 200 ml milk, warmed
- 360 g plain strong white flour
- 45 g golden caster sugar
- 2 tsp mixed spice
- 45 g unsalted butter, melted
- 1 medium egg, beaten
- 200 g mixed dried fruit, with mixed peel
- 3–4 tbsp golden syrup, to glaze
For the crosses
- 3 tbsp strong plain flour
- 1 egg, beaten
You will need
- 10 × 21 cm loaf tin, lined with
- parchment; a disposable piping bag.
1. Dissolve the yeast in the warm milk and leave for a few minutes. Sift the flour into a large bowl and stir in the sugar, mixed spice and 1 tsp salt. Pour in the milk, butter and egg, and mix lightly. Add thedried fruit and work the mixture with your hands to form a dough.
2. Tip out onto a floured surface and knead for 5–10 min until smooth and elastic; this can be done in a stand mixer.
3. Put the dough in a large, clean bowl, cover with lightly oiled cling film. Leave in a warm place for 1 hr to prove.
4. Once doubled in size, tip out the dough onto a floured surface, then knead until smooth. Divide it into 8 balls and place in the loaf tin. Cover with the oiled cling film and prove for 1 hr, or until doubled in size.
5. Heat the oven to 200°C. For the crosses, mix the flour with enough cold water to make a smooth paste. Brush the top of the loaf with egg. Fill the piping bag with the flour mixture and pipe crosses onto each bun. Bake for 35– 40 min or until golden. Heat the golden syrup in a pan and brush over the loaf.
Makes 1 loaf (10 slices) • Ready in 1 hr 10 min, plus proving
ALSO SEE CHOCOLATE ORANGE MARBLE BUNT