The Zola Milk TartPrint This
- 60 g butter, at room temperature
- 1⁄4 cup (50 g) castor sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup (140 g) cake flour
- 1 tsp (5 ml) baking powder
- A pinch of salt
- 2 1⁄4 cups (565 ml) milk
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup (100 g) sugar
- 1 tbsp + 1 tsp (20 ml) cake flour
- 1 tbsp + 1 tsp (20 ml) cornflour
- 1 tsp (5 ml) vanilla essence
- 20 g butter
- 1 tsp (5 ml) ground cinnamon
For the crust:
- Preheat the oven to 180 °C. Grease a 23-cm tart tin.
- Cream the butter and castor sugar together.
- Add the egg and stir to combine.
- Add the flour, baking powder and salt and mix into a stiff dough.
- Press the dough onto the base and sides of the tart tin.
- Prick the base of the pastry all over with a fork.
- Blind bake for 30 minutes or until golden and crispy.
For the filling:
- In a saucepan set over moderate heat, add the milk and cinnamon stick and bring to a boil. Remove the cinnamon stick.
- Whisk together the egg, sugar, flour, cornflour and vanilla essence.
- While whisking continuously, slowly add the hot milk to the flour mixture.
- Return the mixture to the saucepan and set over moderate heat. Whisk until the mixture has thickened.
- Add the butter and stir through.
- Pour the filling into the prepared pastry crust.
- Sprinkle with the cinnamon.
- Allow to cool completely before refrigerating.