When you combine this venison stew with mushrooms, celery, carrots and other vegetables, it makes a delicious, healthy recipe.
- A little oil and butter, for frying
- 2kg casserole venison, cut into chunks
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, finely chopped
- 2 sticks celery, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves
- 3 tbsp seasoned flour
- 75cl full-bodied red wine (such as Shiraz)
- 500g mixed mushrooms
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan or casserole then brown the meat in batches and set aside.
- Add a little more oil if needed, then gently cook the onion, carrot and celery until softened, for about 15 minutes.
- Add the garlic, then stir in the flour and the meat. Stir well and cook for a few minutes, then add the red wine. Bring to the boil then simmer on very low for 2 hours 30 minutes.
- Cut the mushrooms into large chunks. Heat a little butter in a frying pan and sauté the mushrooms for a few minutes. Season well then add to the venison for 20 minutes. Serve with mash or roast potatoes and greens.