- 350 g butternut cubes
- 350 g sweet potato cubes
- 150 g lentils, cooked
- 2 ml ground cinnamon
- 2 ml ground nutmeg
- 30 ml extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup ground almonds
- 1 whole iceberg lettuce
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Add butternut, sweet potato and oil in a roasting tray. Sprinkle cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and pepper.
- Roast in the oven for 30 minutes, until soft. Leave butternut and sweet potato to cool.
- Mix lentils, veg and half the almonds in a bowl. Mash the mixture together until even. Taste and add more seasoning if necessary.
- Split the mixture into 6 evenly sized balls. Shape into burger patties and coat in the remaining almonds.
- Drizzle oil into a non-stick frying pan on medium heat. Fry the patties for 1 minute on each side until golden brown.
- Put your burger patty on the middle of a whole iceberg leaf. Wrap your burger up in a lettuce leaf and serve.
- Add favourite burger toppings like guacamole, salsa and fresh sprouts.
Source and image: Vanessa Marx for the Association for Dietetics in South Africa.
National Nutrition Week, from 9 – 15 October, is all about pulses! Find out more on the official website: www.nutritionweek.co.za