This smoked trout with horseradish, beetroot and cress is an elegant way to start a dinner party – there’s minimal effort involved and yet it’s really delicious and the perfect combination of flavours and textures. The beetroots add a little sweetness, to cut through the smoked trout and fiery horseradish.
- 4tbsp grated horseradish
- 4tbsp crème fraîche
- 4 fillets smoked trout
- 200g cooked baby beetroot (preferably not in vinegar), halved if large
- 2 boxes watercress, leaves trimmed from base
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges, to serve
- Mix the horseradish with the crème fraîche to form a loose paste, then season it well with freshly ground black pepper.
- Cut the trout fillets in half diagonally and sit in the middle of the plate. Place a small stack of beetroot on top of the fish, then scatter over the cress. Spoon the horseradish sauce around the fish and serve with the lemon wedges on the side, to squeeze over.