Make this fresh, healthy rice salad ahead of time to allow the flavours to fully develop and harmonise.
- For The Salad:
- 150g Camargue or organic red rice, washed
- 150g wild rice, washed
- 25g pistachios, roughly chopped
- 3 oranges, peeled, pith removed, segmented
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed
- 4 spring onions, sliced
- 45g dried apricots, diced
- 150g salad leaves
- For The Dressing:
- 3tbsp red wine vinegar
- 3tsbp olive oil
- 1tsp orange juice
- 1 ½tsp finely grated orange zest
- 1tsp Dijon mustard
- ½tsp honey
- Bring a large saucepan of salted water to the boil. Add both types of rice, cover and simmer until tender, around 30-40 mins.
- Dry toast pistachios in a frying pan until fragrant, taking care not to burn them. Spread out to cool.
- Reserve 16 segmented wedges of orange to garnish the finished pots, then chop the remainder into small chunks.
- Heat the olive oil in a wide, shallow frying pan. Add the onion and a pinch of salt, then cover and cook over a medium heat until slightly soft and golden brown. Add the garlic and cook for 1-2 mins. Allow to cool.
- To make the dressing, combine all the ingredients and season well.
- Combine the cooled rice, pistachios, oranges, onions and garlic together with the spring onions, apricots and salad leaves. Pour over the dressing and toss well.
- Evenly distribute the rice between 16 small bowls, jars or shot glasses, adorn with a segment of orange, and serve.
Recipe by Gaia Chanrai for womanandhome.com
Top Tip for making Red and Wild Rice Salad Pots with Orange and Pistachios: Make this recipe up to three days in advance of serving.