Oven roasted salmon with fennel and tomatoes is a super-healthy dish that is blissfully easy to make and brightens any table.
How can I tell when my oven roasted salmon is cooked?
A standard, supermarket side of salmon typically weighs between 800kg and 1.2kg. It may weight a little more if you get it fresh from a fishmonger and it still has some bones and fatty edges. As a general rule, trim the fish if necessary then err on the side of caution and oven cook for no more than 20 minutes to retain pinkness. If baking salmon and covering it in foil or parchment, you can bake for longer – up to 45 minutes – on lower heat settings.
Can you marinate salmon for too long?
Yes you can! If you are using a marinade which contains acidic flavours such as lemon or vinegar, this ‘cures’ the fish and eventually toughens up the flesh. You would not want to marinade a lovely side of salmon in acidic flavours for longer than 30 minutes. Other marinades without acids work well on salmon left for hours or overnight.
- 1tsp light brown sugar
- 1tsp whole grain mustard
- 1 whole side of salmon, skin-on, grey fat trimmed
- 2tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 2 lemons, 1 very thinly sliced, one to serve
- 1/2 a fennel bulb, very thinly sliced plus leaf sprigs
- 10 mixed colour cherry tomatoes, halved.
- Sprigs of dill and baby basil leaves
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 190C, Gas 5.
- Stir mustard, sugar and half the oil together.
- Lay salmon onto oven proof, non waxed baking paper and season with salt and pepper. Brush the mustard and sugar mixture over the whole side and set aside.
- Meanwhile, place all remaining ingredients apart from herbs into a large mixing bowl, season with salt and pepper and toss until everything is coated.
- Artfully cover the salmon with individual pieces of veg, distributing randomly and evenly until the entire side is well covered.
- Oven roast for 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender and salmon has just cooked through. Dress before serving with the fresh herb shoots. Serve with lemon wedges.
Top Tip for making oven roasted salmon with fennel and tomatoes: Like it fiery? Serve with green Tabasco!
Passionate digital editor, social media manager and journalist. She gets excited about new trends in the digital industry and as a career-obsessed young woman, she is always ready to learn something new. To take a break from digital, she loves reading hard copy books and magazines. If she’s not working, you’ll find her in a yoga class or running a half marathon. And afterwards with a glass of champagne, of course.