Orange butter crumblesPrint This
- 100g plain flour
- 50g cornflour
- 0.5tsp fine salt
- 125g unsalted butter, softened
- 50g caster sugar, plus extra
- zest 1 large orange
- Heat the oven to 170 C, 150 C fan, gas 3 and lightly oil a couple of baking trays. Sift the plain flour, cornflour and salt together. Cream the butter until soft, then beat in the sugar until light. Stir in the orange zest, then beat in the flour and bring it all together with your hands to form a soft, pliable dough.
- Shape the dough into a flattish circle and roll out to the thickness of a R5 coin. If it feels too sticky to roll, wrap in clingfilm and chill in the fridge for 30 minutes. Using biscuit cutters, stamp out shapes and place on the baking tray. Re-roll the dough as necessary.
- Sprinkle the biscuits with caster sugar and bake in the oven for about 15 minutes, until theyre a pale golden colour. They will still feel soft to the touch when warm but will firm up completely when cool. Transfer to a wire rack and serve either warm or cool.