Shepherd’s pie is such a classic dish and this mince recipe is a great way to fill up the family during the week.
ALSO SEE: Vegan Shepherd’s Pie Recipe
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 large carrots, peeled and finely diced
- 500g lean lamb or beef mince
- 4 tbsp fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 ½ tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 250ml hot lamb or beef stock
- 200g peas, defrosted
- 500g sweet potatoes, peeled & roughly chopped
- 500g desiree potatoes, peeled & roughly chopped
- 50g salted butter
- 50g mature cheddar
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan and cook the onion and carrot for 10 minutes until soft. Stir through the meat and cook for a further 10 minutes until browned.
- Season well and stir through ½ the thyme, the flour, the tomato puree, Worcestershire sauce and the stock. Cover with a lid, reduce the heat to a simmer and leave for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Preheat the oven to 200C/Gas 6. Meanwhile place the potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring to the boil and cook for 10-15 minutes until tender. Drain, return to the pan and mash with the butter and remaining thyme until fluffy and smooth.
- Stir the peas through the mince mixture and spoon into 6 individual oven-proof dishes and spoon over the mash. Sprinkle each with some cheese then bake for 20 minutes until golden and bubbling.
Top Tip for making Mini Shepherd’s Pies with Sweet Potato Mash: Experiment with the mash by swapping the sweet potato for carrot.
woman&home has a brand new attitude and offers irresistible inspiration each and every month to our audience. The brand believes that it’s attitude, not age, that matters and we speak to women in a conversational, empowering, inspirational, fun and friendly tone.