Enjoy this not-so traditional Shepherd’s Pie (with the shepherd).
- 1.25kg sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 250g carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 sticks celery, chopped
- 5cm piece of fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 400g button mushrooms
- 1sp each turmeric, coriander, cumin, pinch dried chilli flakes
- 250g cooked puy lentils
- 400g can of chickpeas, drained
- 500ml vegetable stock
- 1tbsp cornflour
- Boil the sweet potatoes until tender, then mash and season well. You won’t need any butter or oil.
- Heat the oil in a sauté pan, then cook the onion, carrots celery and ginger until softened. Add the pepper and mushrooms; cook for a few minutes. Add the spices then stir well for a few minutes. Add the lentils, chickpeas and stock, bring to the boil and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Slacken the cornflour with a little cold water. Add to the pan and stir until thickened.
- Put the filling into an ovenproof, shallow dish. Spoon over the mash and spread with a fork. Heat the oven to 160C fan, gas 4. Bake for 40 minutes until browned and bubbling. Serve with green vegetables.
Top Tip for making Vegan Shepherd’s Pie: Use a teaspoon to peel the ginger - less waste and very speedy!