- 1 onion, peeled and roughly chopped
- 4 garlic cloves
- 65g fresh coconut pieces
- 1 red chilli, deseeded
- 1tsp black peppercorns
- 1tbsp oil
- 1tsp black mustard seeds
- Large handful of fresh curry leaves
- 1tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tomato, deseeded
- 200ml fish- or vegetable stock
- 250ml reduced-fat coconut milk
- 320g monkfish, cut into chunks
- Good squeeze of lime juice
- For The Stir-Fried Cabbage:
- 400g white cabbage, shredded
- 2tbsp oil
- 1/2tsp mustard seeds
- 12 curry leaves
- 1cm-piece fresh root ginger, finely grated
- In a blender, whiz the onion, garlic, coconut, chilli and pepper; set aside.
- Heat the oil in a wide heavy-based saucepan. Add the mustard seeds; once they start to pop, add the curry leaves, cook for 30 seconds, then add the onion paste. Turn down the heat slightly and cook for 5 minutes, then add the turmeric, tomato, stock and coconut milk.
- Simmer gently for 10 minutes. Add the fish, cook for 10 minutes. Season, and add a squeeze of lime juice.
- For the Stir-Fried White Cabbage:
- Soak the cabbage with a pinch of salt in cold water for 10 minutes drain.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan add the mustard seeds. When they pop, add the curry leaves, the ginger, and the cabbage. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cook for 8 minutes, stirring frequently.
Tip: Serve with dal.