This is a great vegetarian dish which elevates the humble lentil to a glamorous standing and is perfectly complimented by the asparagus.
- 200ml crème fraîche
- 1tbsp Dijon mustard
- Large handful of mixed herbs, finely chopped, such as tarragon, parsley, basil and chives
- 1tbsp lemon juice
- 250g asparagus tips, cut into 4cm lengths
- 1tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 stick celery, finely chopped
- 1 small carrot, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves
- 100ml white wine
- 250g Puy lentils
- 450ml vegetable stock
- 150g baby spinach
- 100g frozen peas, thawed
- Mix the crème fraîche with the mustard, herbs and lemon juice, season well, then set aside in the fridge
- Blanch the asparagus for 1 minute, rinse under cold water to refresh, then set aside. Heat the oil in a saucepan over a medium heat, add the onion, celery and carrot, and cook for 4 or 5 minutes, or until softened. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute, then add the wine to the pan and bubble until reduced by half
- Rinse the lentils well under cold water then add to the pan and mix well. Add enough of the stock so the lentil mix is just covered. Bring to the boil then simmer gently for 30 minutes or until tender
- Pop the spinach into the microwave for a minute or so to wilt it. Stir the peas, spinach and asparagus into the lentils. Continue to cook until heated through, and season to taste. To serve, divide between 4 bowls and top with the herby crème fraîche.
woman&home has a brand new attitude and offers irresistible inspiration each and every month to our audience. The brand believes that it’s attitude, not age, that matters and we speak to women in a conversational, empowering, inspirational, fun and friendly tone.