- 3 garlic cloves
- 5cm piece fresh ginger, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1kg lamb leg, cut into chunks
- 1 large onion, roughly chopped
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 8 cardamom pods
- 5 cloves
- ½tsp caraway seeds, lightly crushed
- 2 bay leaves
- 400ml chicken or lamb stock
- 50g desiccated coconut, unsweetened if possible
- 100ml coconut cream
- 100g plain yoghurt
- good squeeze lemon juice
- Blend the garlic and ginger to a paste using a food processor, then set aside.
- Heat a large, non-stick pan on a medium heat; you shouldn’t need oil. Brown the lamb in batches, then set aside. Add the onion, stirring occasionally until lightly browned; add a splash of water if it looks too dry. Add the garlic and ginger paste, and fry for a further 1 to 2 minutes. Add the cinnamon, cardamom, cloves, caraway and bay, and stir for 1 minute.
- Return the lamb to the pan along with the stock, desiccated coconut and coconut cream. Bring to the boil, then simmer for 2 hours or until tender.
- To serve, season and stir in the yoghurt and lemon juice.
This article originated on: www.womanandhome.com