- For the stock:
- 1 leftover chicken carcass
- bunch spring onions, roughly chopped
- 2 carrots, roughly chopped
- 6 peppercorns
- 1tsp coriander seeds
- 2 star anise
- thumb sized piece of ginger, chopped
- For the soup:
- thumb sized piece ginger, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 4 chicken breasts (or leftover cooked chicken)
- 200g mixed mushrooms, sliced
- 235g pak choi
- 200g egg noodles
- 1tbsp soy sauce
- To make the stock, put all the stock ingredients into a very large pan, cover with 3l cold water and add a generous pinch of salt. Bring to a boil and leave to bubble away for 2-3hrs, skimming off the scum that rises to the top as you go, until you have a flavourful stock.
- Strain into a large bowl and remove any excess fat from the top.
- To make the soup, pour the stock into a large pan, with the ginger, garlic and chicken. Bring to the boil, then simmer for 20 mins, until the chicken is cooked. Remove the chicken and shred using two forks. (If using leftover chicken, skip this step).
- Return the chicken to the stock with the mushrooms, pak choi and soy sauce. Bring to the boil and simmer for a few minutes until the mushrooms are cooked, then add the noodles and cook for a few more mins until tender.
You can cook a whole raw chicken if you don’t have a leftover carcass, then use the meat from the chicken instead of cooking the breasts.