Tapioca flour is a white coloured grain-free flour made from the cassava root. It is a starchy, slightly sweet flour that is often used in gluten-free baking. It also improves the texture of baked goods and works well as a thickener in sauces and soups. Nature’s Choice, Tapioca Flour
Recipe taken from one the top five fine dining restaurants in Johannesburg – dw eleven-13 situated in Dunkeld West. The recipe was conceptualised by Chef Marthinus Ferreira, owner of dw eleven-13.
- 1.250kg Tapioca flour
- 660g mozzarella
- 6 eggs
- 600ml buttermilk
- 140g olive oil
- 29g baking powder
- 2 teaspoon Bicarb
- 27g salt
- 100g sugar
- Divide this entire recipe into 3 for it to work.
- Preheat oven to 190°C.
- At a go, mix each third of the recipe in a mixer/blender (like a Thermomix) as follows:
- Place mozzarella, milk, salt, sugar, olive oil and eggs together and mix.
- Shortly after, add your tapioca flour with baking powder and mix until fully incorporated and the dough holds a pasta consistency.
- Remove from the processor and repeat the process with the remaining two thirds.
- Place the dough on parchment paper and dust with gluten free flour to mould into shapes.
- Bake the bread in the oven at 190°C for 10 minutes, remove from the oven and poke with toothpick on the top to prevent it from losing shape then return to the oven to bake for another 10 minutes until done.