Vegan cauliflower curry recipe works well with zesty Keralan lemon rice.
- 2tbsp sunflower oil
- 2 red onions, sliced
- 2tbsp garam masala
- 1tsp chilli powder
- 1tsp kalonji (black cumin) seeds
- 1tsp turmeric
- 400ml can coconut milk
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 1 large head cauliflower, cut into florets
- Juice 1 lemon
- Coriander leaves, to serve
- For The Lemon Rice:
- 200g basmati rice, rinsed
- Zest and juice 1 lemon
- Get the pan warm before adding the sunflower oil. Once it gets to the desired temperature, put in the red onions and allow it to cook for 10-15 minutes. Once the onions are soft and have changed colour slightly, you can drop in the chilli powder, turmeric, kalonji seeds and the garam masala. Allow it to cook for another five minutes. You can add more oil if needed, and wait until the smell of the raw spices has dissipated.
- You can now pour in coconut milk and add the tomatoes, along with water (400ml). Allow the pot to start simmering and let it continue cooking, while checking in to stir every now and again. Once it has been on for 20 minutes, you can then mix in the cauliflower and your seasoning. It can now continue cooking for another 15 minutes.
- On another plate, prepare your rice in a pot by filling it with water until it has covered around 2cm above the rice. Get the water to simmer gently and bubble for about a minute, then bring down the heat. You should then cover it with the lid and allow it to cook for 10-15 minutes. Once rice has softened, you can stir in the lemon juice and zest along with your seasoning. Check on the curry once more and if you are happy with the flavour, stir in the coriander and serve with the rice.