Cauliflower Cheese with CamembertPrint This
- 2 large cauliflower heads, broken into even-sized florets
- 100g butter
- 50g plain flour
- 1tsp dry English mustard powder
- a pinch of cayenne pepper
- 500ml whole milk
- 1 bay leaf
- 100g Gruyere cheese grated
- 250g Camembert, thickly sliced
- 3tbsp dry white breadcrumbs
- Heat the oven to 220 C, gas 7. Steam the cauliflower florets for 4-5 minutes or until just tender. Allow to dry and cool while you make the cheese sauce.
- Melt half the butter in a saucepan over a medium heat, then add the flour, mustard powder and cayenne pepper, stirring to make a thick paste. Cook for 2 minutes, stirring continuously. Remove the pan from the heat and pour in a little milk, stirring until the mixture looks smooth but very thick. Put back on the heat and gradually add all the milk, stirring constantly until smooth. Bring to the boil and simmer, stirring, for 3-4 minutes or until thickened.
- Remove the pan from the heat, crumble in the Gruyere or Cheddar and stir until melted. Arrange the florets in a buttered baking dish then pour over the thick cheese sauce, top with the Camembert and breadcrumbs and dot on the remaining butter, bake for 30 minutes until bubbling and golden on top.