- 1 large broccoli head, broken into even sized florets
- 1 large cauliflower head, broken into even sized florets
- 35g butter
- 35g plain flour
- 1tsp dry English mustard powder
- pinch cayenne pepper
- 350ml milk
- 50g Gruyere cheese, grated, plus extra to scatter
- 50g Stilton, crumbled, plus extra to scatter
- Heat the oven to 220 C, gas 7. In a large saucepan of boiling water, cook the broccoli and cauliflower florets for 5 minutes until just tender. Drain and allow to steam dry whilst you make the cheese sauce.
- Melt the butter over a medium heat in a medium pan then off the heat add the flour, mustard powder and cayenne pepper, stirring to make a thick paste. Return therm to the heat and cook for 3 minutes, stirring. Remove the pan from the heat and pour in a little milk, stirring until the mixture looks smooth but very thick. Back on the heat gradually add all the milk stirring all the while until smooth. Bring to the boil and simmer, stirring, for 5 minutes until thickened.
- Remove the pan from the heat, crumble in the Stilton and Gruyere and stir until smooth. Arrange the florets in a buttered baking dish then pour over the thick cheese sauce, scatter with the extra cheese and bake for 30 minutes until bubbling and golden on top.