A deliciously homemade blackcurrant ice cream recipe!
- 400g blackcurrants
- 50ml crème de cassis liqueur
- 300g caster sugar
- 5 free-range eggs, separated
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 700ml light double cream
- You will need:
- 2 litre container with a lid, or a loaf tin would be fine
- Place the blackcurrants, crème de cassis and 2tbsp of the caster sugar in a small saucepan, simmer for 5 minutes then set aside to cool completely.
- In a large bowl, whisk the egg yolks with the vanilla extract and remaining caster sugar until pale and thick. In a second bowl, mix the cream until soft peaks form. Then in a third bowl, whisk the egg whites until very stiff.
- Fold the whipped cream into the egg yolks, then the egg whites into that mixture. Remove around a third of the cream mixture to a separate bowl and gently mix in the reserved blackcurrant compote until combined. Then fold this very gently into the remaining cream mixture, to create a ripple effect. Pour into the container, cover and freeze overnight.