Beef casserolePrint This
- 1,6kg stewing steak, cut into chunks
- 3tbsp seasoned flour
- 3tbsp olive oil
- 15 small onions, peeled
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 large carrots, roughly chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1tsp sweet paprika
- 500ml red wine
- ¼ bunch fresh thyme
- 2tbsp tomato purée
- 600ml fresh beef stock
- 15g dried porcini mushrooms, soaked in hot water for 10 minutes, strained and roughly chopped, reserving the soaking water
- Toss the meat in the flour. Heat the oil in a large casserole, then brown the meat in batches. Remove and set aside. In the same pan (wash if any meat has burnt onto it), brown the onions, then set aside.
- Reduce the heat to medium, cook the onion and carrots until softened, then add the garlic and paprika, and cook for a further 2 minutes. Add the remaining ingredients (if you use wine, note the alcohol will cook away), and strain in the porcini soaking liquid through a tea strainer. Bring to the boil, then reduce to a simmer and return the meat to the pan. Leave for 5 hours, or until the meat is very tender.
- Forty-five minutes before the cooking time is up, add the browned onions. Serve with mashed potato – we stirred in 4tbsp chopped flat-leaf parsley.