- 1 pork shoulder, skin on and bone in
- 20 ml olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp white sugar
- 1 tbsp paprika
- ½ tbsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp onion powder or flakes
- ½ tsp dried rosemary
- 12 corn tortillas, to serve (we use Santa Anna’s Organic Corn Tortillas)
- Barbecue or braai sauce, to serve
- Fresh coriander leaves, to garnish
- Rub the pork shoulder on the meat side with an even coating of oil. Combine the flavourings, herbs and spices and use the mixture to coat the shoulder evenly on the meat side. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Pre-heat a smoker to 100°C and smoke the shoulder for 4–8 hours, until the internal temperature reaches 95°C.
- Rest for 30 minutes, then pull apart with two forks, removing the skin and bone. Serve with corn tortillas and your favourite barbecue or braai sauce and garnish with coriander.
Get your copy of the The Great South African Cookbook for R450 at www.quivertreepublications.com
Photographer: Toby Murphy
For More The Great South African Cookbook Recipes, Click Below: