Dig into this deliciously easy bread pudding made with croissants and baked apples
Preparation Time: 25 mins
Cooking Time: 40 mins
- 4 croissants
- 20 ml caster sugar
- 5 ml ground cinnamon, to garnish
- 60 ml mascarpone, to serve
- 4 Golden Delicious apples, peeled and cut into eighths
- 80 g butter
- 120 g caster sugar
- 20 ml lemon juice
- 560 ml cream
- 1 vanilla pod, split
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 whole egg
- 75 g caster sugar
- To bake the apples, pre-heat the oven to 200°C. Place apple pieces in an ovenproof dish and add the butter, sugar, and lemon juice. Bake for 15 minutes, turning each piece after 8 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside until ready to use. Reduce the oven temperature to 180°C.
- Meanwhile, make the crème anglaise. In a medium saucepan, bring the cream and vanilla pod just to the boil. In a separate bowl, whisk the egg yolks, egg and sugar together. Slowly pour the hot cream over the eggs, whisking continuously, and leave to cool in the bowl.
- To assemble the pudding, cut the croissants in half and then into 8 fingers. Layer the apples and croissants in an ovenproof bowl or dish, pour the crème anglaise over, sprinkle with caster sugar and bake for 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and sprinkle with cinnamon. Serve with mascarpone.
Get your copy of the The Great South African Cookbook for R450 at www.quivertreepublications.com
Photographer: Toby Murphy