Artichoke and cheese veggie piePrint This
- knob butter
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 100ml white wine
- 225ml double cream
- 425g cooked artichoke hearts (from the chiller or in a jar)
- 100g strong cheese, grated
- 1 free-range egg, beaten, to glaze
- 300g ready-rolled puff pastry
- you will need:
- 1-litre (1¾pt) ovenproof pie dish
- Heat the oven to 200 C, 180 C fan, gas 6. Melt the butter in a frying pan, add the onion, and cook gently without colouring for 5 minutes. Turn up the heat and add the wine. Reduce by half, add the double cream, then turn the heat back down, add the artichoke hearts and cook for 5 more minutes. Stir through the cheese, season, then transfer the filling to the pie dish and chill for 15 minutes.
- Brush some egg around the lip of the pie dish, cut off a thin strip of the pastry and stick it to the lip. Brush more egg over the pastry strip and lay over the rest of the pastry. Trim the edges, cut a steam hole and decorate the top if you want to. Glaze all over with beaten egg and cook in the top of the oven for 20 minutes, until the pastry is puffed, golden and crisp. Allow to stand for a minute, then serve with a crispy salad.