A simple but delicious vegetarian supper that even meat-lovers will enjoy
Preparation Time: 10 - 15 mins
Cooking Time: 45 mins
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp dried mixed herbs
- 2 x 400 g cans chopped tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp rice malt syrup (or 8–10 drops stevia liquid)
- 1–2 sprigs fresh oregano
- Small handful chopped fresh basil, (plus extra, for garnishing)
- 1 x 400 g can lentils, drained
- 3 medium-sized aubergines
- 2 cups grated mozzarella cheese (or use Cheddar)
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese (or hard cheese of your preference)
- Avocado, sliced
- 100 g feta cheese, crumbled
- Add a little of the olive oil to a medium-sized saucepan over medium heat, and fry the garlic and dried herbs for 1–2 minutes until fragrant. Add the tomatoes, balsamic vinegar, sweetener and chopped fresh oregano and basil and leave to simmer for 20–30 minutes until reduced by about one-third. Taste and season accordingly. (Add about ¼ cup dried lentils along with the tomatoes if you’d like. If you’d prefer using canned, they can be added later.)
- Meanwhile, slice the aubergines lengthways into 1 cm thick slices (or just slightly thinner).
- Add the remaining olive oil to a nonstick frying pan over medium-high heat and cook the aubergines in batches until golden and almost slightly charred, adding more oil if you need to. Set aside to drain on kitchen paper and season lightly.
- Preheat the oven to 180 °C. Add a thin layer of tomato sauce to a medium-sized baking dish, followed by a layer of aubergines and then a scattering of grated mozzarella and a scattering of Parmesan. Repeat again, and then finish off with a final layer of tomato sauce and a final layer of cheese.
- Bake for about 30 minutes, or until bubbling and golden. Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly. Sprinkle with a little torn basil before serving as soon as possible with slices of avocado and a scattering of feta.
For another vegetarian dish from Sarah Graham, try this chickpea fusilli with pesto recipe:
Sign up and win!
Get our FREE weekly meal planner delivered straight to your inbox when you sign up for Dinner Done & Dusted. Four lucky subscribers stand a chance to win a delicious Mediterranean Delicacies hamper valued at R500. Don’t miss out on all the delicious recipes!
Watch your inbox for 5 quick and easy weekday dinners PLUS a foodie bonus powered by woman&home and Essentials. Check out our terms and conditions here.