Finding the best dating websites can be tricky, especially if you are over 40.
We’ve scoured the web to find mature dating websites for over 40’s so you aren’t faced with the task of going through sites that are geared for a younger target market. Amongst them are a few free dating sites for South Africa – some have paid for features, but for basic use there’s no need to get out your credit card. We’ve also got some pointers on how to date online, including advice for a safe and successful online dating experience.
Is Online Dating Safe?
Much like meeting someone new in person, you have to exercise a bit of caution. It’s probably safer than meeting at a bar, as you can simply log off or block a person if you feel uncomfortable.
A few pointers:
- Always chat online first and ask lots of questions so you can get a real feel for the person.
- Then, move to chatting over the phone. People can think about answers before they type, but are likely to be less guarded when talking.
- Meet in a public place and keep the first date short – coffee or lunch – so you can leave if you want.
- Take it slowly. These are strangers, so it takes longer to get to know them.
- Always trust your gut instinct. If it doesn’t feel right, there’s probably a good reason.
- Avoid men who want to come to your home to collect you; men who continually complain about their ex partners; and those men who have never been in a serious relationship (something is definitely wrong here – baggage is perfectly normal).
- Sadly, some ‘love’ affairs on dating sites are faked purely to steal. Criminals use fake profiles to either dupe a lover into sending money or installing malware on their computer. Dating scams are fast-growing areas of fraud online and there are a huge number of fake profiles on dating sites.
Watch out if he:
- Logs on during the day… He’s more likely to be unemployed, or he’s logging on at work so his wife doesn’t see.
- Can only meet during the week… He’s probably in a relationship and is lying about being away “on business”.
- Is on every dating site… He might be a player – or desperate. One to avoid!
- Gets too forward, too fast… If he asks you about your sexual preferences before you’ve even met… well, he wants a hook up, not romance.
- Suggests a cheap date… It’s okay to go Dutch on a first date, but if he expects you to pay, he’s probably broke.
- Asks for money. This is a major red flag. Do not send it – whether it’s for flights, or for life-saving surgery. If the subject of money comes up early in the relationship, be wary. If he asks outright for a bank transfer, you may well be dealing with a criminal.
Our Round-up Of The Best Dating Sites For Over 40s
Website: Dating Over 40
Aimed at: Men and women over 40 looking for a free online dating website.
Best features: You can add advanced search options like interests, age, area, whether you will date a smoker, etc. You can also send a wink to other users, which is a cute way to make contact without the stress of coming up with a clever greeting.
Aimed at: Men and women over 40 looking for the safest, most private online dating sites South Africa has on offer. The site is also extremely user-friendly with tips and guidance on how to upload pictures etc. It’s ideal for those who aren’t that tech-savvy.
Best features: The site has a free video and live chat tool that allows people to “meet” and chat before organising a date. There’s also a virtual chat room and you’ll receive email notifications every time someone likes your profile picture or sends you a flirt.
Website: Older Dating Online
Aimed at: A free website for men and women over 40 looking for new friends or a partner.
Best features: You can add images and profiles for free in a safe environment. It connects you with users close to you.
Aimed at: Men and women over 40 looking for a serious relationship through a professional dating website. EliteSingles is one of the leading global dating sites, earning the trust of over 13 million singles and creating 2 000 new couples each month worldwide.
Best features: The matchmaking process involves a personality test which tells the site what you look for in a relationship. It then identifies other singles who complement your personality, and sends you three to seven suggestions per day, ensuring a simple and fuss-free browsing experience.
Useful resource: Online Dating South Africa
Aimed at: People looking for a reputable online dating website. This site is purely a review site and has links to some of SA’s best dating sites.
Best features: There’s a variety of dating sites on the website catering for all needs including divorcees as well as single parents. Each site has a clear rating and in-depth review, plus the site itself includes online dating advice and tips. One of the best dating sites we found.
Speed dating in Johannesburg, Cape Town, Durban and Pretoria
Prefer the idea of speed dating instead? Visit Smart Date. The company offers exclusive speed dating meet-ups in fabulous settings for different age groups.
DISCLAIMER: The testimonials presented on this website are applicable to the individuals depicted only and may not be representative of the experience of others. The information provided within this site is strictly for the purposes of information only and is not a replacement or substitute for professional advice.