Finding the best dating websites can be tricky, especially if you are over 40.
We’ve scoured the web to find mature dating websites for over 40s, so that you aren’t faced with the task of going through sites that are geared for a younger target market.
We’ve found a few free dating sites for South Africa – some have paid for features but for basic use there’s no need to get out your credit card.
We’ve also got some pointers on how to date online, including advice for a safe and successful online dating experience.
Is online dating safe?
Much like meeting someone new in person, you have to exercise a bit of caution. It’s probably safer than meeting at a bar, as you can simply log off or block a person if you feel uncomfortable.
A few pointers:
* Always chat online first. And ask lots and lots of questions, so you can get a real feel for the person.
* Then, move to chatting over the phone. People can think about answers before they type, but are likely to be less guarded when talking.
* Meet in a public place. And keep the first date short – coffee or lunch – so you can leave if you want.
* Take it slowly. These are strangers, so it takes longer to get to know them.
Watch out if he…
* Logs on during the day… He’s more likely to be unemployed, or he’s logging on at work so the wife doesn’t see.
* Can only meet during the week… He’s probably in a relationship and is lying about being away “on business”
* Is on every dating site… He might be a player – or desperate. One to avoid!
* Gets too forward, too fast… If he asks you about your sexual preferences before you’ve even met… well, he wants a hook up, not romance.
* Suggests a cheap date… It’s okay to go Dutch on a first date, but if he expects you to pay, he’s probably broke.
* And… if it doesn’t feel right… Always trust your gut instinct. Avoid men who want to come to your home to collect you; men who continually complain about their ex partners; and those men who have never been in a serious relationship (something is definitely wrong here – baggage is perfectly normal).
Our round-up of the best dating sites for over 40s:
Website: Dating Over 40
Aimed at: Men and women over 40 looking for a free online dating website.
Best features: You can add advanced search options like interests, age, area, whether you will date a smoker, etc.
You can also send a wink to other users, which is a cute way to make contact without the stress of coming up with a clever greeting.
Website: Mature Dating
Aimed at: Men and women over 50
Best features: It’s safe and secure with good privacy policies in place. Plus, it’s free to join and search, and there’s a great tool that allows members to zoom in, and find other members in their area.
They’re also strict about the age of each candidate. This ensures that like-minded singletons at a similar age and stage– get the chance to interact online.
Aimed at: Men and women over 40 looking for the safest, most private online dating sites South Africa has on offer.
The site is also extremely user-friendly with tips and guidance on how to upload pictures etc. It’s ideal for those who aren’t that tech-savvy.
Best features: The site has a free video and live chat tool that allows people to “meet” and chat before organising a date. There’s also a virtual chat room and you’ll receive email notifications every time someone likes your profile pic or sends you a flirt.
Website: Older Dating Online
Aimed at: A free website for men and women over 40 looking for new friends or a partner.
Best features: You can add images and profiles for free in a safe environment. It connects you with users close to you.
Useful resource: Online Dating South Africa
Aimed at: People looking for a reputable online dating website. This site is purely a review site and has links to some of SA’s best dating sites.
Best features: There’s a variety of dating sites on the website catering for all needs including divorcees as well as single parents. Each site has a clear rating and in-depth review, plus the site itself includes online dating advice and tips. One of the best dating sites we found.
Speed dating in Johannesburg, Cape Town, Durban and Pretoria
Prefer the idea of speed dating instead? Visit Smart Date. The company offers exclusive speed dating meet ups in fabulous settings for different age groups.
DISCLAIMER: The testimonials presented on this website are applicable to the individuals depicted only and may not be representative of the experience of others. The information provided within this site is strictly for the purposes of information only and is not a replacement or substitute for professional advice.