The exciting countdown to the festive season has officially begun. But have you started making arrangements for your pets over the busy December period yet?
David Roache from Dotsure says that arranging pets’ care over the festive season can be very stressful for them and their parents.
“We’ve found that over this period, there is an increase in claims. This is as a result of pets being stressed by changes that may occur in their usual schedule. As such they often become sick or attempt to escape, especially if they have a pet sitter or are left on their own for long periods of time.”
There are a few things that pet parents should add to their checklist as December approaches, says Roache.
5 Holiday Tips for Pet Parents
- If you are going away and can’t take your pets with you, be sure to arrange a pet sitter you can trust or book them into a kennel or cattery, preferably one they have happily stayed at before or comes well recommended.
- If your pet is on regular medication, have the script filled for the December period as your vet may be working reduced hours or may be closed over certain periods.
- Don’t forget to add your pet to Santa’s nice list – who better to buy a chew toy or new bed for?
- If you’re staying at home during December, schedule in some family walks with your dog. Not only is it great bonding time, but you’ll all get some exercise, especially after those long and deliciously indulgent lunches.
- Sign-up for pet insurance – with dotsure.co.za it takes less than five minutes online and, with different options covering accidents and illness, it is one less thing to worry about.
woman&home has a brand new attitude and offers irresistible inspiration each and every month to our audience. The brand believes that it’s attitude, not age, that matters and we speak to women in a conversational, empowering, inspirational, fun and friendly tone.