Dish soap is a household staple, but you can make its powers extend far beyond the kitchen sink with these dishwashing liquid uses.
Besides being your go-to for greasy dishes, this magical liquid can be used all over the house.
1. Remove greasy stains on clothes – Rub some washing liquid into the stain and rinse with water for a gentle and effective spot-treatment.
2. Clean hairbrushes and combs – Thanks to its natural grease-removing properties, a few drops of washing liquid with warm water do wonders to clean the build-up from greasy hair.
3. Lighten dark hair colour – If your DIY dye job turned out a little darker than anticipated, wash your hair with dishwashing liquid. It will help to lighten the colour.
4. Wipe down outdoor furniture with dishwashing liquid and warm water, and then rinse clean with a hose pipe.
5. Clean your kitchen and bathroom floors – Two tablespoons of dishwashing liquid in a bucket of warm water can be used to clean vinyl or tile flooring – but stay away from hardwoods.
6. Restore jewellery to its former glory by dropping it in a bowl with dish soap and water. Leave for 5 minutes, then swish your pieces around and remove them. Scrub with a soft toothbrush and rinse clean.
7. Remove stubborn carpet stains by dissolving a tablespoon of washing liquid in 2 cups of warm water. Blot the stain with a clean white cloth dipped into the solution. Repeat until the stain absorbs into the cloth and disappears from the carpet. Then sponge with cold water and blot dry with a clean cloth.
8. Remove oil stains from concrete – Cover the stain with baking soda and then pour dish soap over it. Scrub with a plastic brush, and then let it sit for a few hours. Rinse and repeat until the stain is gone.
9. Quick and easy ice packs – Create your own ice pack for lunchboxes by filling a freezer bag with dish soap. Not only does it stay frozen for longer than water but it can also be re-frozen.
10. Non-toxic weed killer – Do away with chemicals and mix a teaspoon of dish soap with a cup of salt and about 3.8 litres of white vinegar. Pour the mixture into a spray bottle and spray it on any unwelcome plants.
Our top pick: Plush Supreme Dishwashing Liquid. It cleans and shines all crockery, cutlery and glassware with ease.