It’s a new year, so it’s time for a more streamlined life. Follow our 10 instant, simple steps to being more organised and free of clutter.
1. Add cup hooks inside cupboards or anywhere you have dead space. It’s the easiest way to store scarves, long necklaces and handbags. Plus, it’s an easy step to help you get rid of any clutter lying around on the floor or taking up your wardrobe.
2. Rethink your furniture. Do you really need that many tables in your lounge? One side table may be all you need.
3. Buy a year’s worth of eco light bulbs, vacuum bags, water filters and batteries. That way you’ll always be ready when you run out.
4. While you’re at it, buy birthday cards and stamps for the whole family at the start of the year, and mark each person on your calendar. It’s the ultimate in organisation.
5. Stick a magnetised notepad on your fridge so it’s at the ready when you need to jot a quick shopping list or note a date.
6. Place a box or an old crate in your garage and add your unwanted charity items to it throughout the year. It will be out of the way and, once it’s full, you can donate it to your nearest shop or organisation in need.
7. When you get unwanted junk mail, throw it out straightaway; and go paperless with your bills, paying online, so there’s no filing to do!
8. At the start of each new season, sort through your shoes to see if they need re-heeling or resoling or just a good polish, so they’re always ready. The same goes for handbags you haven’t used for a while.
9. Sort your kitchen cupboard and throw away jars and tins that are past their sell-by and use-by dates. Herbs and spices have short shelf lives so check them regularly.
10. Tired of all the spam in your inbox? Review which online newsletters you’ve subscribed to and follow the unsubscribe link at the bottom of the mails if you no longer want to receive them. Unsubscribing is easy and saves time having to sift through all the electronic junk mail to get to the e-mails that matter.