Reducing your sugar intake isn’t as hard as you think once you discover how much you’re really eating every day. Take a look at these clever sugar swaps to satisfy your sweet tooth…
* Switch your 45g bowl of bran flakes for 45g oats cooked with low-fat milk and you’ll cut 1½tsp sugar from your diet.
* Swap regular biscuits for plain digestives, which are generally lower in sugar, if you really need something sweet.
* Swap your cheese-and-chutney sandwich for cheese and cucumber.
* Swapping a 60g serving of stir-fry sauce for just a dash of chilli flakes cuts out a whopping 5tsp. Check the sugar in salad dressings, too – low sugar is 5g per 100g or less.
* Swap 40g of milk chocolate for 30g of 70% dark chocolate – you’ll want less of the rich dark stuff – to cut at least 3tsp sugar.
* Rosé contains over 1tsp sugar in a 175ml glass – so switch to a single gin and sugar-free tonic instead (you’ll cut out around 250 kilojoules in the process, too).
* Ditch a 150g tub of sweetened strawberry or raspberry yoghurt, which contains around 2tsp of added sugar, for a 150g tub of fat-free plain yoghurt with a handful of berries on top, and you’ll cut around 75 kilojoules at the same time.
Compiled by Faye M Smith
woman&home has a brand new attitude and offers irresistible inspiration each and every month to our audience. The brand believes that it’s attitude, not age, that matters and we speak to women in a conversational, empowering, inspirational, fun and friendly tone.