The paleo diet helps to give your metabolism a boost.
Out: Cereal or toast.
IN: Smoothies made with fresh fruit – think mango, berries, bananas – and almond milk or coconut milk.
Bacon and eggs – high-fat foods fill you up faster and for longer than high-carb ones and don’t lead to weight gain.
In his new book, Daniel has a great way with kale and eggs, plus fabulous omelettes and pancakes.
Out: Sandwiches, pies, jacket potatoes and ready meals.
IN: Make-ahead soups with seasonal organic ingredients. Salads with grilled fish or meat and plenty of salad vegetables.
Out: Pasta, potato and rice dishes.
IN: Vegetable “substitutes” – see Daniel’s Courgette Spaghetti and Aubergine Burger “Bun” recipe below. Try layering aubergine instead of pasta for a lasagne; or purée parsnips for mash. Grilled meat or fish with salads or stir-fries.
How much can I expect to lose?
This diet helps to recalibrate your metabolism, so you’ll lose weight, but it will vary depending on your starting weight. At w&h, we say aim for no more than 1 to 1,5kg a week – keep to the 80:20 rule, and it will be consistent!
BEEF BURGER IN AN AUBERGINE BUN
You do need a knife and fork to eat this, but it has a nice texture and is a much better alternative to eating the burger on its own.
1 aubergine, sliced into 8 rounds
olive oil, for frying
red onion, thinly sliced
1 little gem lettuce
1 tablespoon home-made ketchupfor the burgers
450g lean beef mince
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
½ red onion, finely chopped
1 garlic clove, crushed
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon pepper
½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
for the guacamole
1 avocado; juice of 1 lime; a handful of coriander; 1 red or green chilli, deseeded
1. Place the burger ingredients in a large bowl, mix together, then shape into four burgers.
2. Spray a non-stick frying pan with a little olive oil and fry the burgers over a medium heat for 3-4 minutes on each side.
3. Meanwhile, heat a little oil in a second pan and fry the aubergine slices over a medium-high heat for 2-3 minutes on each side.
4. Place all the guacamole ingredients in a bowl and mash together with a fork.
5. Stack the burgers on an aubergine slice and layer up with salad, red onion, guacamole and ketchup and serve immediately.
DISCLAIMER: Before starting any diet, you should speak to your doctor. You must not rely on the information on this website/newsletter as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or other professional healthcare provider.