Main image: Getty Images / ullstein bild / Contributor
It’s official – Idris Elba is the sexiest man alive, according to People magazine. He’s all smiles on the cover of their recent issue and said graciously, “It’s an ego boost, for sure.”
Known for his roles in The Wire and Luther, this tall dark and oh-so handsome man is no stranger to the limelight. When he found out he’d won the prized award, he was charmingly casual and gracious. He told People magazine, “I was like, ‘Come on, no way. Really?’ [Then I] looked in the mirror, checked myself out. I was like, ‘Yeah, you are kind of sexy today,’” he joked.
View this post on Instagram
Who’d have thought it! Thank you @people & all the fans for naming me #SexiestManAlive. Don’t forget to grab your issue this week, link in bio. I’m honoured & thankful. But what’s even more important is your vote in the midterm elections. Your vote can make a difference! ??
Beyond his acting talents, Idris works as a music producer and DJ – calling himself DJ Big Driis – and, in 2016 was named as one of Times’ Most Influential People in the World.
Here’s why we love him…
- He played our former president Nelson Mandela in the 2013 film Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom. And brilliantly, we might add.
- He isn’t afraid to rock a tropical tiger-printed shirt, while wearing headphones and jamming it up.
Who’d have thought it! Thank you @people & all the fans for naming me #SexiestManAlive. Don’t forget to grab your issue this week https://t.co/WI7eWfXOPB. I’m honoured & thankful. What’s even more important is your vote in the midterm elections. Your vote can make a difference!?? pic.twitter.com/TBQapjxJsT
— Idris Elba (@idriselba) November 6, 2018
- He loves soccer and music but, most importantly, his children. He even has his daughter’s name tattooed on his arm. In a sweet Father’s Day post last year, he thanked his kids for making him feel special. Next up, the Dad of the Year award?
- He never forgets his African roots. In 2014, he presented a radio series called Journey Dot Africa where he highlighted Africa’s rich and diverse musical culture. He’s also worked with parliament in the UK to help eradicate Ebola from West Africa.
- Have you seen him? That’s all.
Passionate digital editor, social media manager and journalist. She gets excited about new trends in the digital industry and as a career-obsessed young woman, she is always ready to learn something new. To take a break from digital, she loves reading hard copy books and magazines. If she’s not working, you’ll find her in a yoga class or running a half marathon. And afterwards with a glass of champagne, of course.