Main image: David Crotty / Getty Images
Our mesmerizing May 2019 cover star, Laura Dern, has been in the film industry since the age of 13. Her first big film role? Starring opposite acting legend Jodie Foster in 1980 drama, Foxes. Since then, she’s done box office hits like Jurassic Park as well as cult classics like Wild At Heart. These days, she’s enjoying life as a devoted mother of two as well as working on one of the most rewarding projects of her career – the hit HBO TV series Big Little Lies where she stars alongside friends and fellow acting royalty, Nicole Kidman and Reese Witherspoon.
Here are five quick things you may not have known about the beautiful Laura Dern…
- Her parents are well-known actors Bruce Dern, who famously killed John Wayne in The Cowboys, and mother Diane Ladd, who played Laura’s on-screen mother several times in films like Citizen Ruth and Rambling Rose.
- She supports several charities, like the Global Down Syndrome Foundation and the Best Friends Animal Society. Recently, she’s also spoken out about abuse in Hollywood and the #MeToo campaign, openly talking about her role as a feminist and what that means in today’s society.
- She’s not a huge fan of make-up and enjoy having a clean skin when she’s not on film. If she does wear make-up, it’s staples like mascara (preferably L’Oréal) and a moisturising lip balm by La Mer.
- She loves travelling and her all-time favourite vacation was to French Polynesia where she stayed on the private island of Tetiaroa. Think eco-resorts and azure seas…
- She has two teenage children with musician Ben Harper, but the couple split in 2012.
This is a busy work year for Laura. This month, she’s starring with Liam Neeson in action drama, Cold Pursuit – in cinemas now. From June, you can catch her in the highly-anticipated second season of Big Little Lies.
Watch the teaser trailer for Big Little Lies S2 here…
To find out more about Laura, grab a copy of our May 2019 issue – out on shelves now!
By Features Editor Stephanie van der Plank