Solving your skin issues from the ‘inside-out’ (literally), may just be the solution you’ve been looking for, with these smoothies for healthy skin.
According to dietician Abby Courtenay, you can “halt further damage by including starting to include phytonutrients into your diet.”
These are special types of antioxidants, that can be found in brightly coloured fruit and vegetables, which can give you benefits over and above their nutritional value.
Try these smoothies to help boost your skin from within…
The anti-ageing smoothie
This smoothie is great for enhancing collagen production.
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut water
- 2 scoops collagen powder
- 1 peeled orange (or any other citrus fruit)
- A handful of mango chunks (seasonal)
- 1 large carrot (peeled)
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
The smoothie that fights pigmentation
Fight pigmentation from the inside by protecting yourself from the sun.
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 2 tablespoons pea protein isolate or pure whey protein
- 1 small banana (fresh/ frozen)
- ¾ cup blueberries
- 1 handful baby spinach leaves
- ½ avo
The glowing skin smoothie
We love cult-favourite Elemis Superfood Facial Oil, R1 005 for 30ml, with its anti-oxidant and omega-rich ingredients that feed the skin from the ‘outside-in’, including broccoli, flax seed and daikon radish, to name a few.
Just imagine the benefits if you started to include some of these glow enhancing ingredients in your daily diet!
- 2 cups cold water
- 1 avo (peeled and pitted)
- ½ cup fresh parsley
- 1 apple (cored and seeded)
- 1 carrot (cut into chunks)
- 1 lemon (peeled)
- kale leaves (add to taste)
- fresh ginger root (to taste)
– Recipes created by Dietician Abby Courtenay of Nutritional Solutions, Waverly. Words: Beauty editor, Martinique Stevens