Is it even easter without some scrumptious hot cross buns? Follow our foolproof guide and you’ll ace them every time!
- 11⁄2 cups lukewarm milk
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp yeast
- 41⁄2 cups flour
- 1 cup raisins
- 1⁄2 cup golden sultanas
- 1⁄4 cup candied citrus peel
- 50 g butter, melted
- 3 tbsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp mixed spice
- 1 egg, whisked
- 1⁄4 cup honey
1. Mix milk, 2 tsp sugar and yeast in a bowl. Leave for 5 minutes, until it bubbles.
2. Add the remaining ingredients, except honey, and mix well.
3. Turn out on to a floured surface and knead for10 minutes, until elastic and smooth to the touch.
4. Transfer to an oiled bowl and cover with a damp tea towel. Place in a warm spot and leave to rise for 1 hour, or until doubled in size.
5. Divide the dough into 12 pieces and roll into balls.
6. Place them on a lined baking tray and leave to proof for 30 minutes.
7. Preheat oven to 200°c.
8. Bake for 20–25 minutes. Remove from the oven and place on a wire rack to cool slightly.
9. Heat the honey to melt it, then brush over hot buns.
Three ways to make crosses
- 11⁄2 cups icing sugar
- 1 egg white
- 1⁄2 tsp lemon juice
1. Whisk all ingredients together until smooth.
2. Bake and glaze buns, and allow to cool completely.
3. Place icing in a piping bag and pipe on to the buns.
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup water
1. mix the flour and water until a thick paste forms.
2. Place in a piping bag, and pipe crosses on to the buns before you bake them.
3. Bake as per the buns recipe. Glaze afterwards.
- 200 g dark chocolate, melted
- 250 g sour cream
- Pinch salt
1. Gradually add the melted chocolate to the sour cream, mixing until smooth. Fold in the salt.
2. Allow to set at room temperature for 30 minutes.
3. To serve, dollop on top of hot cross buns.
Feature Image: Getty