Why does the neck age so fast? Necks just are different. The skin here is thinner than on your face, which means that it collapses more easily into wrinkles and folds, particularly given the way we twist and turn and stretch and compress our necks.
- Then there’s the fact that there are precious few oil glands in neck skin to keep the skin supple. It all gets much worse when you hit menopause and, thanks to the reduction in oestrogen, your skin gets drier and loses elasticity.
- If we do invest in expensive serums and sunscreens, we rarely take them further south than the jaw. But the older you get, the more annoying it becomes, as your neck seems to age faster than your face, and your décolletage gives
the game away.
- Whatever age you are, start looking after your neck now, and your future self will thank you. The best thing you can do for your neck and décolletage is to use the same skincare on it that you use on your face, and to give it the same amount of UV protection. But if you fancy a separate neck cream, here are some that will do you proud.
3 NECK CREAMS TO TRY
1. Placecol Illuminé Neck and Décolleté Lift
This is peptide-rich, which tightens and firms the skin.
2. NeoStrata Skin Active Triple Firming Neck Cream
This product has something of a cult following in the aesthetics world for its dedicated formula that lifts the skin, smooths out creases, and tones down pigmentation.
R1 075, dermastore.co.za
3. Clarins UV Plus Sunscreen Anti-Pollution Translucent SPF 50
Not strictly for the neck, this sunscreen is perfect for the face, neck and décolletage. A shield for everyday life, from indoor to outdoor pollution and sun, it’s got you covered.