Pumpkin is a secret fresh ingredients in some of our favourite teatime treats!
- 400g shortcrust pastry
- 1 cup cooked, mashed pumpkin
- 1 cup cream
- ½ cup sugar
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 tbsp cornflour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
1. Preheat oven to 200°C.
2. Roll out the pastry and line a 25 cm pie dish. Blind-bake (with dry rice or beans weighing down baking paper) for 20 minutes, until golden brown and cooked through. Set aside.
3. Reduce the temperature to 170°C.
4. Mix together the pumpkin, cream, sugar, lemon zest and juice, egg yolks, cornflour and cinnamon.
5. Pour the mixture into the pastry case. Bake for 45–50 minutes, until just set.
6. Remove pie from the oven and leave to cool completely, ideally overnight.
7. Add some extra goodness: whipped cream with a dash of cinnamon!
7. Serve cool.
Tip: For an elegant twist, make individual pies in a muffin tray. (they’re also great for lunch boxes).
MAKES 1 | Prep time: 30 min | Baking Time: 1 hour 5–10 min + chilling time
ALSO SEE BAKED LABNEH CHEESECAKE
Image via Pexels