- Zest and juice of 1 orange
- 200 g self-raising flour
- 100 g vegetable suet
- 1⁄4 cup caster sugar
- 11⁄2 tsp ground cardamom
- 75 ml milk
- 800 g red plums, halved and de-stoned
- 50 g light brown sugar
- Double cream or ice cream
1. Preheat oven to 200°C.
2. Add orange zest, flour and suet to a bowl. Rub the suet into the flour using your fingertips or a food processor. Stir in the caster sugar and cardamom.
3. Combine milk with 75 ml water and pour over flour mixture, using a spoon to gently mix into a dough.
4. Place the plums, cut-side up, on to an oven-safe dish. Drizzle the orange juice over and sprinkle with brown sugar.
5. Using wet hands, work segments of dough into about nine 4 cm balls and place over the plums. Cover and bake for 30 minutes. Remove lid and cook for a further 20 minutes until golden.
6. To serve, drizzle cream over the cobbler or enjoy with ice cream.
TIP: Butter us up If you can’t find suet, using vegetable shortening or butter will also work for this recipe.
ALSO SEE SPICED CHAI LOAF RECIPE