- 200 grams butternut, thinly sliced
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 500 grams cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 4 Tbsp. chopped basil leaves, plus extra to garnish
- 4 wholewheat pita pockets
- 2 baby marrows, sliced into ribbons
- 200 grams kale, trimmed and chopped
- 120 grams vegan feta, crumbled
- 1½ Tbsp. toasted pine nuts or sunflower seeds
PREHEAT oven to 200°C. Line two oven trays with baking paper.
PLACE butternut on one tray and drizzle with some olive oil. Bake for 20 minutes or until softened.
HEAT remaining oil in a pan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook for 4 minutes, stirring until softened. Add cherry tomatoes and stir. Bring to the boil and reduce heat to a simmer. Cook, uncovered, for 10 minutes or until mixture has thickened. Stir in the basil.
ARRANGE pita pockets on the remaining oven tray. Spread with tomato mixture and top with butternut, baby marrow and kale. Bake for 15 minutes or until the bases are crisp. Top flatbreads with vegan feta, nuts or seeds and extra basil before serving. Season with pepper.