If you love kimchi and braaing, we’ve got a treat for you.
Up your braai game with this Asian fusion dish of Korean grilled steak with kimchi crunch slaw!
- 500 g piece thick-cut rump steak
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp gochujang
- 3⁄4 cup kimchi, shredded finely
- 160 g shredded red cabbage
- 340 g shredded chinese cabbage
- 70 g roasted unsalted peanuts
- 1 tbsp white sesame seeds, toasted
- 1 tbsp black sesame seeds, toasted
- 1⁄2 cup fresh mint leaves, shredded finely lime wedges, to serve
COMBINE steak, oil and gochujang in a shallow glass or stainless steel dish. Cover; refrigerate for 2 hours or overnight.
HEAT a grill plate over high heat. Season the steak well.
COOK steak for 3 minutes on each side for medium or until cooked to your liking.
TRANSFER to a plate, cover loosely with foil; rest for 10 minutes.
COMBINE kimchi, cabbage, peanuts, seeds and mint in a large bowl.
SLICE beef thinly against the grain; toss through salad with cooking juices. Season to taste.
SERVE steak and slaw with lime wedges and extra kimchi, if you like.
TEAM TIP: Gochujang is a fermented Korean chilli paste and Kimchi is a side dish of fermented vegetables, both are available from Asian supermarkets, some health food stores and delis.