This coconut, lime & star anise syrup cake is the perfect Sunday dessert!
Coconut, Lime & Star Anise Syrup Cake Recipe:
- 150 grams butter, softened
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1½ cups self-raising flour, sifted
- 1 cup desiccated coconut
LIME & STAR ANISE SYRUP
- 6 large kaffir lime leaves
- 2/3 cup caster sugar
- 1/3 cup lime juice
- 4 star anise
- ½ cup water
1. Preheat oven to 160°C. Grease a 12 cm 23 cm loaf tin. Line base and long sides with baking paper, extending the paper 5 cm over the side.
2. Beat butter, vanilla and sugar in a small bowl with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Beat
in eggs, one at a time, then add
3. Stir in sifted flour and coconut. Spoon the mixture into tin and smooth the surface.
4. Bake cake for 50 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Leave the cake in the tin for 5 minutes before turning, top-side up, onto a wire rack over a tray.
LIME AND STAR ANISE SYRUP
1. Coarsely tear four of the lime leaves. Place torn lime leaves, sugar, lime juice, star anise and water in a small out over low heat. Stir, without boiling, until sugar dissolves. Bring to the boil, then remove from heat. Stand for 5 minutes, then discard torn leaves. Remove the centre rib from the remaining lime leaves before finely shredding, stir into hot syrup.
2. Pierce the top of the cake lightly all over with a toothpick. Pour hot syrup evenly over top and sides of hot cake, let cool.
HANDS-ON TIME 25 min | TOTAL TIME 1 hr 25 min | SERVES 8