This sweet glaze gives the turkey a wonderful flavour and a lovely golden colour.
- 4 kg turkey, giblets removed
- Juice of 1 clementine (reserve the squeezed fruit)
- 4 bay leaves
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 80 g maple syrup
- 30 g butter
- 2 tbsp light brown soft sugar
- Herbs for garnishing
1. Bring the turkey to room temperature. Heat the oven to 180°C.
2. Prepare the turkey by tying up the legs and placing the reserved squeezed clementine and bay leaves into the cavity. Pat the skin dry, rub the vegetable oil over it and season generously with salt. Roast in the oven for 2 hours 30 minutes, basting every 25 minutes with the juices at the bottom of the pan.
3. Place the clementine juice, maple syrup, butter and brown sugar in a pan. Season well and gently heat until the butter has melted. Simmer for a few minutes to reduce slightly. Half an hour before the turkey is done, brush over the maple glaze, ensuring that the skin is well coated, and then return to the oven for the remaining cooking time.
4. To ensure the turkey is cooked, make a small incision into the thickest part of the turkey and check if the juices run clear. Alternatively, use a temperature probe; it should reach 64°C before resting. Rest in the tin, covered with foil, for 45 minutes before serving. Garnish with herbs.
TIP: A temperature probe is a great way to prevent a dry turkey.
Serves 8 • Ready in 2 hr 45 min, plus resting
ALSO SEE ROAST CHICKEN RECIPE