A fun and festive twist on this iconic flavour pairing. Grab a spoon and dive in to these boozy banana pots!
- 4 ripe bananas, peeled
- 100 ml spiced rum
- 1⁄2 vanilla pod
- 110 ml whipping cream
- 30 ml full-cream milk
- 50 g golden caster sugar, plus extra for decoration
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 leaf gelatine, soaked in cold water
- 1 loaf banana bread
- 1⁄2 397 g tin caramel
- 200 g double cream, lightly whipped
- Sliced banana, chocolate curls and caramel popcorn, to garnish
1. Halve the bananas and flambé in the rum with the vanilla. Cook over a low heat for 5 minutes until they begin to break down.
2. Heat the whipping cream, milk and half the sugar in a pan, and bring to just below a simmer. Whisk the egg yolks with the remaining sugar, then gradually pour the cream over, stirring constantly. Return to the pan and gently cook over a medium heat, stirring constantly until the mixture thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon.
3. Remove from the heat, add the bananas and blitz with a hand mixer. Squeeze the excess water from the
gelatine and add to the custard. Stir to melt and mix well. Cool completely.
4. To assemble, break up pieces of the banana bread and place in the base of the pots. Spoon over banana custard and spoonfuls of the caramel, finished with whipped cream. Decorate with sliced banana, chocolate curls and caramel popcorn.
ALSO SEE FESTIVE PANNA COTTA RECIPE